Home > Travel Insurance
> Travel Packing Tips - 5 Tips For Packing Light
Travel Packing Tips - 5 Tips For Packing Light
Author: Ken S
If you are looking for travel packing tips, you probably want to reduce the amount and overall weight of your luggage, right? Here are 5 tips for packing light that can help you save money, backaches, and stress as you travel.
1. Plan to wear no more than two outfits per day. A lot of times when you travel, you think you have to take your entire wardrobe with you. You want to be prepared for any event. Especially women. Truth is, whether you are a man or a woman, you will probably not need to wear more than two outfits each day. So pack accordingly. Plan on taking one 'daytime' outfit and one 'evening' outfit per day. If you are traveling to the beach, pack no more than one swimsuit per day. This will give you plenty of wardrobe options for your vacation.
2. Plan outfits that coordinate with each other... including shoes. By packing tops, bottoms, and jackets that can be worn interchangeably, you can save a lot of room in your luggage. Standard items such as jeans, jean shorts, khakis, khaki shorts, etc., can be worn more than once with different tops to create different looks. Coordinate your shoes the same way. Pack just a few pairs of shoes and/or sandals that can be worn with many different outfits so you save space.
3. Pack essential toiletry and cosmetic items only. Unnecessary items can take up a lot of room. Of course you need a toothbrush, toothpaste, and a comb/brush, but ladies, you do not need 65 makeup compacts and 30 tubes of lip gloss for a short vacation or quick weekend getaway. Pack a 'makeup essentials' bag with just a few items like foundation, mascara, eyeliner, 4-5 eye shadow shades, blush, and 2 each: lipliners, lipsticks, and lip gloss. Another thing ladies, you do not need to take ALL of your hair styling tools when you go out of town. Just one flat iron or curling iron will do the trick. And finally, one of the best packing tips of all, find out if the hotel room you are staying in already has a hair dryer. You may be able to eliminate packing this bulky item altogether. (If, however, you do need to pack a hair dryer, get a travel sized one. These high power hair dryers pack a big punch in a small package.)
4. Put certain things into your carry-on bag, and put the rest your suitcase. Losing your luggage or having something happen to it while it is not in your possession can be a travel nightmare, and it happens every day. We all hope that our baggage will be safe and arrive at our destination at the same time we do, but the reality is that bad things can happen to luggage when you travel. This is why it is a good idea to pack toiletries, several undergarments, and at least two generic outfits (like two tee shirts and a pair of shorts or pants) in your carry-on bag. In the unfortunate event that your luggage gets lost, you will have the essentials you need until your luggage problem is resolved. (If you do not follow any of the other packing tips, this is the one that could help you out in a pinch the most.)
5. Get travel insurance! This is the most important tip of them all. Packing "light" does not refer to luggage only. You do not want to travel "heavy" with stress. You want to travel "light" with peace of mind. You see, most people travel without insurance and want to kick themselves when they find themselves in the middle of a travel nightmare. If you get sick, did you know your health insurance may not cover you? If your lost luggage is never found, did you know you may not be fully refunded for your items by the airline? If your trip is cancelled due to the weather, without travel insurance, you may lose every dime you paid. With worldwide 24-hour assistance, you can avoid a complete travel nightmare with travel insurance. Many travel insurance plans are super affordable, costing $30 or less.
These travel packing tips are tried and true. They are the guidelines I travel by. Use these tips for packing light, and have a great trip!
Ken S., Founder
These travel packing tips and 5 tips to packing light were courtesy of LowRateSearch. Visit the travel section now to find low travel rates and affordable travel insurance. Take heed to these travel tips, and enjoy your trip!
Other Recent Insurance Smart Book Articles:
Travel Insurance - Important Yet Often Overlooked!Travel Insurance For a Gap Year AbroadCheap Worldwide Travel Insurance - 2 Tips to Help You Get Cheaper Travel InsuranceHoliday Insurance For People Over 70The Different Types of Travel Insurance